Since our founding in 1941, we have always been a community of leaders and doers, who are continuously looking forward. For more than 75 years, we have been leading the way in education and our history is chock-full of "firsts."
How It All Started
In the spring of 1940, our founding headmaster, Dr. Thomas Burton, rallied Charlotte leaders around a visionary new concept in education—the independent day school. On September 22, 1941, Charlotte Country Day School opened its doors with 18 students in a leased home on Morehead Street. By the start of the 1945–46 school year, our fledgling school for grades kindergarten through eighth had grown to 56 students and moved to a new six-acre site on Sardis Road. We added ninth grade in 1955, and the school began gaining a reputation for preparing students well for top boarding schools and colleges. In 1960, Country Day moved to its permanent home on Carmel Road with six buildings on 30 acres, and in 1962 graduated its first class of 15 seniors.
Then and Now
Today we have a diverse student body of more than 1,660 students in JK–12. We are proud of our long history of offering students an unsurpassed opportunity to prepare for the future—an opportunity grounded in the strength of tradition and shaped by generations of visionary leaders. Check out what has changed and what has remained constant throughout our history.