The Hance Lower School Learning Center is the first step in creating separate, age-appropriate libraries/learning centers for younger and older students. The Hance Learning Center is also home to the Brock Center for Extended Day and the Lower School Educational Resource Program, a hub for dedicated technology instruction.
Nestled within the Lower School classrooms, the facility gives our youngest students a space designed just for them. Highlights include:
- An open and airy media center that combines an extensive collection of books, along with resources designed for modern information literacy.
- Storytelling and instruction rooms
- Reading Nooks
- A hands-on innovation area that engages students in age-appropriate problem-solving, collaboration, and design thinking.
- Design and Innovation Lab
- Makers Space
- Makers Space Terrace
- The Brock Center for Extended Day, a new, inviting space for Extended Day and after school enrichment that includes:
- Four dedicated classrooms for developmental games, art projects, homework time, and a host of other activities
- A Culinary Corner stocked with nutritious after-school snacks and ready for cooking classes
- A welcoming entrance designed to streamline pickups and dropoffs
- Close proximity to library, maker space, and outdoor areas to encourage exploration and foster development
Generous $2 million Gift from Jim and Bev Hance
Jim and Bev Hance generously pledged $2 million to create new opportunities for our next generation of leaders, thinkers, and doers in a distinctive learning environment.
The Hances, who are parents to four alumnae and grandparents to six Country Day students, have made Country Day a philanthropic priority alongside other key educational institutions. Their generosity and steadfast commitment illustrate the value parents of alumni and grandparents place on a Country Day education.
Generous $1 million Gift from the Brock Family
John III and Mary Brock and John IV and Tracy Brock made a generous $1 million commitment to name the Brock Center for Extended Day. They recognize the needs of Country Day's families are shifting, and quality time before and after school is a vital part of many children's Country Day experience. Whether a child attends regularly or on a drop-in basis, our community provides a nurturing and enriching environment for students and flexible scheduling for parents.