Middle School Athletics Information
2019–20 School Year
In an effort to help with your planning for the next school year, we have listed below some key information about our Middle School athletics program.
The following sports are offered each season (grades 7 and 8 only):
Fall: Cheerleading, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Girls’ Golf, Boys’ Soccer, Girls’ Tennis, Volleyball
Winter: Boys’ Basketball, Girls’ Basketball, Cheerleading, Swimming, Wrestling
Spring: Baseball, Boys’ Golf, Boys’ Lacrosse, Girls’ Lacrosse, Girls’ Soccer, Softball, Boys’ Tennis, Track & Field
- Daily Details
- Player Registration Process
- Greater Charlotte Middle School Athletics Association (GCMSAA)
- Key Dates
- Families can expect a schedule of 4–5 active days each week.
- There will be 1–3 scheduled competitions each week, depending on the sport.
- Most practices are held on Bissell Campus from 3:30–5 pm, with the following exceptions:
—Boys’ and Girls’ Basketball will rotate weekly into a later time slot (5–6:30 pm)
—Swimming and Golf will practice off-campus
—Softball, Track & Field, and Wrestling hold practices on Cannon Campus
- Student-athletes are required to attend a supervised study hall before any late practices or competitions.
- The school provides transportation to and from all off-campus competitions.
- Students will receive a Google Form sign-up from Mr. McMahon. This will be sent directly to each rising 7th and 8th grade student’s Country Day e-mail address.
- The form allows students to choose which sports they are interested in for each of the three upcoming seasons.
- Families of all students who register for a sport will receive information about that sport over the summer for fall sports, and approximately six weeks in advance of the season for winter and spring sports.
- Once teams are formed and practices have begun, all game schedules and rosters are posted to team web pages, and head coaches send weekly updates via e-mail. Please note: families will not receive pre-season communications if their student does not register for a team.
For some sports, we have more student interest than we are able to reasonably accommodate given our goal of providing each student-athlete with a quality athletics experience.
In these cases, we hold a tryout immediately prior to the official start of the season, generally for three days. If a sport requires a tryout, Mr. McMahon will send families who have registered for that specific sport, information about that sport’s tryout process.
All teams participate in the GCMSAA, which is a conference that brings together schools with a like-minded approach to middle school athletics.
Charlotte Country Day
Lake Norman Charter
Teams occasionally compete against schools outside this conference grouping to ensure a more complete schedule.
Monday, August 12: Football practices begin
Wednesday, August 21: All other fall sports practices begin
Wednesday, August 21–Friday, August 23: Fall sports tryouts
Thursday, August 29, 5:45 pm: Middle School Athletics Parents’ Night (all sports, all seasons)
Friday, October 18: Fall Middle School Spirit Week
Monday, October 14–Friday, October 18: GCMSAA Fall Tournament Week
- There will be no athletics activities held on Labor Day (September 2), Rosh Hashanah (September 30), Yom Kippur (October 9), or Fall Break (Monday, October 14).
Wednesday, October 23–Friday, October 25: Basketball tryouts
Monday, October 28: All non-tryout winter sports practices begin
Tuesday, November 5 (time TBA): Middle School Winter Sports Parents’ Night
Friday, January 24: Winter Middle School Spirit Night
Monday, January 20–Friday, January 24: GCMSAA Winter Tournament Week
- There will be no athletics activities held during parent conferences (November 4), the week of Thanksgiving (November 25–29), Holiday Break (December 20–January 3), or Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 20).
Wednesday, February 5–Friday, February 7: Spring tryouts
Monday, February 10: All non-tryout spring sports practices begin
Thursday, February 20, 5:45 pm: Middle School Spring Sports Parents’ Night
- There will be no athletics activities held during Winter Break (February 14–18), Spring Break (March 16–20), parent conferences (April 6), Good Friday (April 10), or Easter Monday (April 13).
- There will be no GCMSAA Tournament for the spring season.