Head of Lower School Bill Mulcahy shares how we develop and cultivate vital 21st century competencies such as communication and public speaking skills
Junior Kindergarten–Fourth Grade
The important first years of a child’s education form the foundation for future success in every aspect of life. Country Day gives preschool aged through fourth grade students a balanced and challenging program where confidence, talent, friendship, and individuality flourish. Here, students become strong, independent thinkers, guided by expert teachers who encourage their natural curiosity and help them master essential skills.
Each day in Lower School is filled with remarkable opportunities and experiences.
As a member of the Country Day Lower School community, each student:
- Helps build a class of compassionate, respectful, thoughtful students who value and learn from each other.
- Conducts hands-on experiments in a dedicated Lower School science laboratory.
- Learns healthy habits in our award-winning daily physical education program.
- Begins to study French and Spanish in junior kindergarten and kindergarten.
- Grows in confidence through public speaking, theatrical productions, and research presentations.
- Creates a welcoming environment and helps visitors and new students feel at home.
- Plays an active role in service projects that teach the importance of acceptance, integrity, cooperation, and fairness.
Coding is increasingly being viewed as a new 'literacy,' a skill so vital to understanding the world that many argue all students should master it—just like reading, writing, and math. I love working at a school that is looking critically at our computer science curriculum and thinking long-term about how to integrate engineering, design, thinking, and coding/computer programming skills into our program in meaningful ways.
Joe Hernick, Director of Educational Technology
A balanced, inquiry-based Lower School curriculum ensures that each student has the opportunity to master core knowledge, competencies, and technical skills. Many studies and activities take students outside the regular classroom.
Head of Lower School Bill Mulcahy shares his thoughts and reflections on how he spent a day in the life of a third grader.
Featured in Charlotte Parent: When children are engaged in a progressive math curriculum such as Country Day's, they become great problem-solvers in addition to incredible math thinkers. That's because Country Day's math program is focused on differentiation, teaching strategic number sense, and ensuring complete understanding of each concept.
The new Purdy Center for Science and Mathematics and the Hance Lower School Learning Center build on what's best about life and learning at Country Day. These future-ready learning spaces reframe Cannon Campus for the challenges our students face today, while providing students and teachers with what they need to take the lead and launch successful futures.
On March 22, Colonel Shane Kimbrough, who commanded Expedition 50 on the International Space Station between October 2016 and April 2017, visited Country Day for a full day of assemblies and discussions with students and teachers.