Each Upper School student earning a Charlotte Country Day School diploma will have successfully completed 21 academic credits in required courses and electives, based on individual interests and needs. Full year courses receive 1.0 academic credits and semester courses receive 0.5 academic credits. Those 21 total credits must include the following:
English 4.0 credits
Every student must be enrolled in an English course during every semester in the Upper School. English as a Second Language (ESL) courses are considered to fulfill English credits for those students who need additional English language support.
Mathematics 3.0 credits
Students are strongly encouraged to enroll in a fourth year of mathematics, and many colleges require a fourth credit in mathematics; please consult college guidance if you have specific concerns about specific schools.
Sciences 3.0 credits
All ninth graders must complete Biology I, and students new to CCDS after the 9th grade must fulfill the high school biology requirement, though credit may transfer from another institution. 2.0 additional credits in science are required in the upper school.
History/Social Studies 3.0 credits
Required courses in History/Social Studies include World Cultures (9th grade), European History (10th grade), and American History (regular, IB, or AP level; typically in 11th grade).
Foreign Languages 2.0 credits
Students must complete at least two consecutive years of study in the same language in the upper school. Most students complete three or more years of study.
Fine Arts 1.5 credits
Ninth grade students must complete 0.5 credits in fine arts. Students in grades 10-12 must complete an additional 1.0 credits.
Diploma requirements also include:
1) Athletics/Physical Education/Co-curricular activities eight activities (two per year)
Co-curricular activity credits may be earned in the following ways:
- Participating (as player or manager) on a CCDS sports team
- Completing a CCDS physical education or preseason conditioning course
- Applying for alternate PE credit for physical training done outside of school
- Participating in a CCDS drama production onstage or backstage (for one activity credit/year)
- Completing CAS service hours (for one activity credit per year—IB students only)
2) A passing grade (D- or above) earned in all courses during the senior year.