Parent Education Fosters Lifelong Learning
Throughout the school year, we invite nationally-acclaimed guest experts to campus to speak on timely and relevant parenting topics and offer a wide range of parent workshops and community book discussions. The Parents' Association sponsors regular grade-level and divisional education meetings to help parents with various developmental stages and challenges that arise when parenting. School divisions and the College Guidance and Athletics departments also host relevant topic discussions.
October 6, 2016, 7 pm: Jessica Lahey
Educator, writer, speaker
In her New York Times bestseller, The Gift of Failure, Jessica summarizes the current research on autonomy-supportive parenting and teaching, competence, rewards, praise, and failure. Learn more about Jessica Lahey and her book. Event sponsored by the Parents' Association.
November 15, 2016, 7 pm: Kevin Powell
Political activist, poet, writer
Kevin's lecture, "Stop Waiting for Superman: The Leadership is Us." Read more about Kevin Powell. Event sponsored by People of Color in Independent Schools.
February 22, 2017, 7 pm: Jean Kilbourne
Author, speaker, filmmaker
Jean Kilbourne, Ed.D. is internationally recognized for her groundbreaking work on the image of women in advertising and her critical studies of alcohol and tobacco advertising. Her lecture, "Deadly Persuasion," will explore the connection between advertising and several public health issues, including violence against women, eating disorders, and addiction. She launched a movement to promote media literacy that encourages dialogue as a way to prevent these problems. Her films have been seen by millions of people throughout the world. Learn more about Jean Kilbourne. Event Sponsored by the Parents' Association.
In past years, we have proudly welcomed the following guest experts:
- Ana Homyoun, nationally-acclaimed author of That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life
- Joe Ehrmann, former NFL football star, current minister, and motivational speaker
- Kevin Breel, mental health activist and stand-up comedian, recognized for his TEDx talk entitled "Confessions of a Depressed Comic"
- Rosalind Wiseman, bestselling author of Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World
- Daniel Coyle, renowned journalist and New York Times bestselling author of The Talent Code
- Matt Bellace, author, psychologist, comedian, "Supporting Teens in Making Healthy Choices"
- Richard Guerry, expert on digital technology and "digital consciousness"
- Dr. Sherry Turkle, author of Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other
- Dr. Wendy Mogel, author of Blessings of a Skinned Knee and Blessings of a B Minus.