Parent Education Fosters Lifelong Learning
Throughout the school year, we invite nationally-acclaimed guest experts to campus to speak on timely and relevant parenting topics and offer a wide range of parent workshops and community book discussions. The Parents' Association sponsors regular grade-level and divisional education meetings to help parents with various developmental stages and challenges that arise when parenting. School divisions and the College Guidance and Athletics departments also host relevant topic discussions.
November 15, 2016, 7 pm: Kevin Powell
Speaker, humanitarian, author
"Stop Waiting for Superman: The Leadership is Us," a conversation with Kevin Powell about the intersection of education, social justice, and leadership. Read more about Kevin Powell. Event sponsored by People of Color in Independent Schools.
February 22, 2017, 7 pm: Ron Lieber
Personal finance New York Times columnist and author
Ron Lieber has been the "Your Money" columnist for the New York Times since 2008. He also wrote the "Green Thumb" personal finance column for The Wall Street Journal. He recently authored The Opposite of Spoiled: Raising Kids Who Are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money, which was an instant New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller.
Read more about Ron Lieber and his book, which talks about how, when, and why to talk to children about money—whether they are three years old or teenagers. Event Sponsored by the Parents' Association.
In past years, we have proudly welcomed the following guest experts:
- Jessica Lahey, New York Times bestselling author of The Gift of Failure
- Ana Homyoun, nationally-acclaimed author of That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life
- Joe Ehrmann, former NFL football star, current minister, and motivational speaker
- Kevin Breel, mental health activist and stand-up comedian, recognized for his TEDx talk entitled "Confessions of a Depressed Comic"
- Rosalind Wiseman, bestselling author of Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World
- Daniel Coyle, renowned journalist and New York Times bestselling author of The Talent Code
- Matt Bellace, author, psychologist, comedian, "Supporting Teens in Making Healthy Choices"
- Richard Guerry, expert on digital technology and "digital consciousness"
- Dr. Sherry Turkle, author of Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other
- Dr. Wendy Mogel, author of Blessings of a Skinned Knee and Blessings of a B Minus.