At Country Day, there is so much to do after school. We offer a nurturing Extended Day program for students in grades JK-8 and more than 25 after-school enrichment classes for students in Lower and Middle School. More than 50 percent of our two-parent families are dual income, and you can count on our After School programs to meet your children’s needs and interests.
The warm, nurturing environment that Country Day students receive in the classroom every day continues into the Extended Day program, available for students in grades JK-8. Our dedicated after-school teachers carefully plan a variety of fun and interesting activities, including cooking, developmental games, and art projects, as well as provide homework time and nutritious snacks.
Extended Day for 2017–18:
- Program runs August 23, 2017–May 31, 2018.
- Extended Day starts at 1:15 pm with a choice of dismissal times from 2:50 pm to 6:00 pm.
- Parents can enroll their children from one to five days per week on a monthly basis.
- Students are always welcome to drop-in as needed. Simply complete the Drop-In Request Form 24 hours in advance. The rate is $11.50/hour and is due upon pick-up.
- JK–grade 1 students are located in The Cottage in the Gorelick Family Theater building, grade 2 students are located in Belk Hall, and grade 3–Middle students are housed in Claudia Watkins Belk Hall.
- The program operates on a full-day basis during parent conferences and faculty professional days.
- For Enrollment and other helpful information, please refer to the forms below listed under Resources.
Program Guidelines and Policies
- To ensure safe student/teacher ratios, we are not able to switch days around during a particular week. Parents must call our office and add days either on a permanent or drop-in basis from week to week.
- Children are not permitted to attend Extended Day once they've left campus after the regular school day has ended.
- It is our responsibility to know where each Extended Day child is on any given day at any given time. If your child will not be attending the program for any reason, please notify the officeat (704) 943-4648 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sign Out—For security reasons, parents must sign out before taking a child from Extended Day. Only parents and those individuals on an authorized list that parents fill out may take a child from the school. Your child will not be released to anyone who does not have your authorization.
- Field Trips—parents are notified ahead of time of all field trips. We require a parent’s signature on a field trip permission form before a child is allowed to attend. Licensed bus drivers provide transportation, and safety guidelines are strictly enforced. Field trips are usually taken on days that the All-Day program is offered (when classes are not in session).
Fees vary depending on the grade level, dismissal time, and days per week contracted for:
After School Enrichment classes are held outside of the regular school day and are offered with a goal of educating and building a child’s knowledge, self esteem, ability to interact with others, and general understanding of one’s community.
Students can select from classes scheduled from once per week for several weeks to concentrated classes offered daily for a short period of time. The programs range from art, to music, to brain teasers, to sports and healthy living options. Parents delight in the fact that classes are readily available right here on campus, in the most familiar and the safest possible environment for their students.
Course offerings are broken down by season:
- Fall classes run from September through December
- Winter and spring classes run from January through April
Programs are added and deleted each season, depending on how well they are received by parents, students, faculty, and staff. The decision to terminate a program is left to the discretion of the After School Enrichment Office.
- Online registration for all classes takes place at the beginning of each semester and early November for the winter Classes. Please note: registration is on a first come first served basis.
- Registration Waiting List: each program has a minimum and maximum number of students and we follow a 12:1 student to teacher/coach ratio (ie, once more than 12 students are enrolled, another teacher will be added.) After the maximum enrollment is reached, additional registrants will be put on a waiting list. If someone withdraws prior to the class beginning, the first name on the wait list will be selected and offered a spot to attend the program.
- Classes are paid in full at time of registration and registrants receive an e-mail confirming program participation. If you do not receive an e-mail, please contact the After School Enrichment Office for assistance.
- Refunds/Withdrawal: If you need to withdraw your child from a class, do so prior to the first day of class in order to receive a refund. Refunds for withdrawal are not granted after the first day of class.
- Cancellations: If a class does not meet the minimum number of required students, that class may be cancelled. Parents who have registered their students or themselves for these classes will be notified of its cancellation and full refunds will be provided. Cancellation of a class is at the discretion of Country Day, the contracting company, and the teacher.
Guidelines and Policies
Our classes are designed to be enriching, enlightening, and fun for all who participate, and provides a learning experience that enhances social, intellectual, and emotional growth for all. Please note the following:
- Students are escorted to and from their class. No student will be left alone either going to or returning from an enrichment class.
- Please pick up your children on time from their respective classes.
- Notify the After School Enrichment Office and regular classroom teacher about all carpool changes, as appropriate.
- If students are absent from school, they may not participate in an After School Enrichment class that day.
- Contract companies must provide annual Liability Certificates of Insurance to the After School Enrichment Office.
- Students must adhere to the same rules and regulations of the regular school day.
The After School Enrichment Office will:
- Provide registration information to all participants and ensure programs are available for registration at the appropriate time.
- Inform parents, teachers, and students of the registration periods for the programs, including detailed class information.
- Provide safe and honorable companies and teachers for all of the offered classes.
- Provide initial rosters to companies and teachers of the After School Enrichment classes at least two days prior to the start date of the program.