The Country Day Parent Experience
At Country Day, we cultivate a community of life-long learners, including parents. Throughout the school year, our parents are invited and encouraged to participate in a wide range of opportunities to foster balance and well-being with their children. In addition to educational workshops and community book discussions led by faculty members, special guest speakers and Country Day’s own faculty and staff experts, speak on timely and relevant parenting topics.
The Parents' Association also sponsors regular grade-level and divisional education meetings to keep parents apprised on such topics as brain research, wellness, or transitioning from one grade to the next. School departments host information on topics like college guidance, NCAA athletics, and cyber safety.
Parent Speaker Series
The Parent Speaker Series helps further educate our parents by annually offering opportunities to hear from nationally acclaimed expert guest speakers and authors on various relevant topics. In recent years, we proudly welcomed:
- Ana Homayoun, nationally renowned author and teen millennial expert
- Joe Ehrmann, former NFL football star, current minister, and motivational speaker
- Kevin Breel, mental health activist and stand-up comedian, recognized for his passionate TEDx talk entitled "Confessions of a Depressed Comic."
- Rosalind Wiseman, New York Times bestselling author of Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World
- Daniel Coyle, renowned journalist and New York Times bestselling author of The Talent Code
- Matt Bellace, author, psychologist, comedian, "Supporting Teens in Making Healthy Choices"
- Richard Guerry, expert on digital technology and "digital consciousness"
- Dr. Sherry Turkle, author of Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other
- Dr. Wendy Mogel, author of Blessings of a Skinned Knee and Blessings of a B Minus.
Recent Parent Awareness Topics
Preparing Your Child for the Future: Technology Insights for Dads of Lower School
Why You Can’t Do Your Child’s Second Grade Math
Middle School is Just Around the Corner
How to Parent Your New Teenager
Social Temptations and Difficult Decisions
Parents’ Legal Liability for Their Teenagers’ Actions
Expectations for Senior Year
Recent Book Discussions
- Season of Life: A Football Star, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood, by Jeffrey Marx
- Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World, by Rosalind Wiseman
- The Talent Code, by Daniel Coyle
- Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell
- That Used to Be Us, by Thomas L. Friedman and Michael Mandelbaum
- The Blessing of a Skinned Knee and The Blessing of a B Minus, by Dr. Wendy Mogel
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
The Country Day community includes an exceptional network of parents who are an integral part of our school. Parent volunteer groups support our students through the generosity of their time and resources, and they help strengthen student programs, build community, and provide additional support through fundraising.
Parent-Led Activities/Events at Country Day
Annual Holiday Breakfast
Back-to-School Lemonade Party
Big Saturday Carnival
Lower School Family Picnic
POCIS Back-to-School Family Picnic
Taste of Country Day
Teachers/Coaches Appreciation activities
Used Textbook Sale