About Our School
We are a strong institution with a long history of forward thinking.
At Charlotte Country Day School, we offer students and their families an unsurpassed opportunity to prepare for the future—an opportunity grounded in the strength of tradition and shaped by generations of visionary leaders.
Here, you’ll find a profound commitment to lifelong learning, hands-on experiences, individualized attention, and a caring, inclusive community. You’ll find teachers, coaches, administrators, and advisors eager to work in close partnership. Most important, you’ll find a dynamic, comprehensive educational experience, one that cultivates each student’s intellectual, social, physical, emotional, and creative qualities.
Legacy of Firsts
In 1941, Country Day’s founding headmaster, Dr. Thomas Burton, brought a new concept in education to Charlotte. Considered an original and progressive educator by his peers, Dr. Burton believed passionately in the value of independent day schools, and quickly rallied some of Charlotte’s most prominent leaders around his vision.
For 75 years, Country Day has continued to build on our long legacy of firsts among the Charlotte region’s independent schools, introducing groundbreaking programs and progressive ideas.
Country Day Firsts
- Independent school
- Office of Diversity Planning
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Program
- Comprehensive International Studies Program
- Full-time assistant teachers in every Lower School classroom
- Structured After School program
- High school Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring program
- Biomedical ethics and organic chemistry classes
- Sports medicine services for student-athletes